FACILITY CLOSURE

As of 12pm Monday 23rd March, Hurstville Aquatic Leisure Centre will close until further notice. All class payments and memberships will be put on hold and visit passes will be extended by 12 months. We’d like to thank the amazing team that bring you the services you love, this will be a difficult time for them and their families. We look forward to seeing you all again when we reopen

Click here for more details.

Our aquatic and indoor gym facilities remain closed at this time. Outdoor Boot Camp sessions start on Monday May 25th.

International Men’s Health Week

Did you know that only 30% of a man’s overall health is determined because of his genetics, the other 70% is controlled through his lifestyle?

Men’s health week is about showing the Australian community the state of male health in all its forms for a week every June, this year this week fell during 10th June – 16th June.

The top 3 reasons for reduced lifespan in a man is cardiovascular disease, suicide and motor accidents and we know how to minimise the risk of 2/3 fatal events. That’s why it’s super important to encourage yourself or males in your life to indulge in a healthier lifestyle!

Here are some examples we recommend for boys and men to increase their health:
1) Keep it simple by walking to work or parking further from work.

Men who climb 50 stairs or walk 5 city blocks a day may lower their risk of heart attack by 25%. Other great activities include a 30-minute swim, utilising our cardio equipment to go for a walk or a run on the treadmill, spin bikes or stair-masters.

2) Exercise your mental health by being active.

Inactive men are 60% more likely to suffer from depression than those who are active. A recent study done by the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health found that running for 15 minutes a day or walking for an hour reduces the risk of major depression by 26%.
It also promotes all kinds of changes in the brain, including neural growth and reduced inflammation. It also releases endorphins, powerful chemicals in your brain that energise your spirits and make you feel good. Finally, exercise can also serve as a distraction, allowing you to find some quiet time to break out of the cycle of negative thoughts that feed depression.

3) Men who sleep 7-8 hours a night have about 60% less risk of a fatal heart attack than those who sleep 5 hours or less.

A lot of people struggle to sleep due to stress or working late, exercising after work is a way to turn your brain off for a moment, tire yourself out so that when you get into bed you feel more inclined to sleep. It also triggers an increase in body temperature, and the post-exercise drop in temperature may promote falling asleep.

In Australia, Men’s Health Week provides a platform for challenging key issues in men’s health and to raise the profile of men, their health outcomes and health needs around the country each June. We are joining their approach in celebrating the strengths of men, the contributions they make and the important role they play in society whilst serving encouragement around the areas of men’s health!

Credits:
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on google
Google+
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on pinterest
Pinterest

What's on Today

  • TabataThursday, 4:30 PM - 5:30 PM
  • Body PumpThursday, 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM
  • Basic ReformerThursday, 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM
  • Cardio BoxingThursday, 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM

Opening Times

Aquatic

Gym

Stadium